PAY IN THREE INSTALMENTS, SPREAD THE COST.
Dream of making your own dresses?
Have you been inspired by the latest trend in home sewing but not sure where to start? Perhaps you are an avid watcher of The Great British Sewing Bee or love browsing the fabric. Frocks that Rock is for you!
Our two day dressmaking course runs from 9am - 4pm at the Sew La Di Da Sewing School in Lyme Regis Town Mill. Whether you are a “Rusty Returner” or a complete beginner, you will be guided through the whole process from understanding the pattern, cutting your fabric to construction and “hopefully” finishing.
Our small class sizes, simple patterns and individual tuition mean that even beginners can make a dress in just two days. Depending on your ability you may finish your dress or leave with a little bit of homework. Everyone leaves with a free dressmaking pattern from our vintage inspired range and a dress! The workshop will help you gain confidence and build on your existing skills.
You will learn the importance of notches, I call them the commas and full stops of pattern making. No longer will you fear an invisible zip, or setting a sleeve. I’ll give you top tips and shortcuts to a professional finish so your garments will shout handmade couture rather than homemade rag trade. Our sewing patterns are unique in their modern sizing and fit, with my help, you will leave with a Frock that fits and Rocks!
Tea and coffee provided and lunch can be purchased from one of Lyme Regis’s many cafes, pubs or takeaways. As we are a hop skip and jump from the beach, you might want to indulge in a sneaky sundown cocktail to toast your achievements.
You will leave with the confidence to carry on sewing future projects.
What to bring:
- A simple sewing kit, including notebook pencil, good quality pair of fabric scissors, tailors chalk and a tape measure
- Fabric, click the link below to your chosen dress design for requirements (or purchase from our fabric shop from £7 per metre*)
- Interfacing, zips and thread (all can be purchased as necessary)
What you learn?
- How to insert an invisible zip
- Garment construction
- A Sleeve when required
- Under stitching
- Simple quick Hems
- Alterations to the patterns where necessary
- Boning where appropriate
- Collar if needed
- When and how to use interfacing
- And any other time-saving tips we can think of!!
- Free Sewing Pattern from our complete range.
- Sewing Tuition from Caroline Smith.
- Your own cutting bench & sewing station in Sew La Di Da Vintage HQ.
- Free Tea & Coffee (Biscuits possible).
Upper Stable Block,
Dresses to choose from include: Sweetheart Dress, Rose Dress, Audrey Dress, Blitz Dress, Gypsy Dress & Margo Playsuit.
The workshop is for all levels from complete beginners to rusty returners dress sizes 4-20.
*Sew La Di Da Students receive a 10% discount on all dressmaking fabrics purchased at the workshop.
Spaces are limited, book now!